Thursday 16 April 2009

PostHeaderIcon Different Japan: Employment

Employment

Just as the new school year begins in April, so does the work year for all the adults. It is a very busy and stressful year for workers in all kinds of employment. The reason for this is that companies and schools feel the need to rotate and move members of their staff around the prefecture or country. I suppose this is a bit of a gamble for people because they could get moved to the city near their house or be sent a two hour drive away in the mountains. I don't think they have any choice or say in the move either and they only have a few weeks notice. The whole system shocks me slightly and when I tell my Japanese teachers this in no way happens at home they almost pass out going "Eeeeeeeeeeeeehhhh".

Anyway, I kind of won in the rotations this year as Katakana sensei to my right has gone to college to study English (this amuses Noah and I immensely) and Slappy sensei to my left (he smashes his keyboard) has moved to Muroto. Also, my awkward "supervisor" has moved desks and I no longer have any communication with him. This was the perfect scenario and I was enjoying my new found peace. However... some new person has moved into Slappy's old seat and she's just as irritating. I almost miss the days of him on the phone going "eeeee eeeeee eeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeee so desu neeeeee eeeeeee eeeeeeeeeee hohohoh honto". This new person is a a goliath of a woman and she moves about with the grace of an elephant on fire. Her job is apparently to scan in every single picture taken in Tano so I now have that sound in my ear all day.

The strangest thing is that she keeps falling asleep onto the computer. She's doing it right now actually. She scans about 5 pictures and then nods off with her head bouncing up and down like a tired baby. I don't understand it at all. I'm wondering if she has some sort of condition.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

I am a 24 year old Scotsman currently teaching English to Japanese schoolchildren. I live in a small town on the east coast of Kochi prefecture.

Shashins

Travel Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory